A well-written covering letter can give an excellent first impression to your potential employer, highlighting your key skills and suitability for the position.
Covering letters are now quite rare, as many employers ask you to complete an online application only. Sending one with your application shows you have spent a bit more time than other candidates in considering the position, and this may help you to stand out from the crowd.
In your covering letter:
- Explain why you are sending your CV
- Tell the employer why they should consider your application
- Emphasise your skills and experience
A typical covering letter format includes:
Company contact name
Dear Mr/Mrs .......,
- Explain why you are writing, where you heard about the position.
- Explain why you are interested in the position.
- Why you are interested in the employer and their sector/products.
- Demonstrate that you have researched the company/position and show how your skills and qualifications relate to it.
- Concentrate on what you can do for them.
- Explain any relevant items in your cv in more detail.
- Indicate you are interested in an interview.
- Tell them how you will follow up, ie call, email etc
- Thank them for their time/consideration